Sunday, February 26, 2012

Xena: Season 1, Episode 10: "Hooves and Harlots"

This was definitely a favorite, evbody... The best advice I can give about knowing a favorite episode for what it is: It’s like falling in love. When you're in love, you don't sit there asking yourself, "Am I in love?" You just know. Same with favorite episodes. If you have to ask yourself if it is or isn't a fave, it's probably not.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 

CLICK HERE for full page view. 
EXTRAS:
1) It’s obvious from Gabrielle’s outfit that they switched the previous episode and this episode in terms of order. Gabrielle wears Terreis’ skirt and necklace in “Death in Chains” (episode 9). Yet, at the beginning of “Hooves and Harlots” (episode 10), she’s wearing her old, original clothes.
2) Cool scene of Epinon and some other chick dressing Gabrielle in Terreis’ clothes.

3) X: “Something about me you find interesting?” Ephiny: “Yes.” X: “Wanna tell me?” Ephiny: “No.” X: “Then stop staring at me, before I take your eyes out.” – What’s Ephiny’s deal?

4) X: “You’re going to get your people killed. I fought the Centaurs; I know what they can do.” Melosa: “The famous battle of Corinth - yes, we’ve heard of it. And we’ve heard of you, Xena. To some of us, you’re a hero. A true Amazon at the head of the mightiest army the world has known.” – Just another example of Xena’s vast past. EVERYone knows who she is.

5) Ephiny: “Come, now.” G: “I’m sorry, you must have me mistaken for a pet.” E: “Would you come with me?” – Hahaah!

6) Tyldus: “You killed a half of my Centaur army. My friends.” – love the way he says this.

7) X: “Don’t be stupid, Ephiny.” – And then, of course, Ephiny is stupid and shoots the arrow anyway. Love this story detail.

8) Ephiny: “That’s right. This is filled with raw hay stalks. Centaurs don’t eat hay.” X: “Actually, I was referring to the hoof prints. Centaurs carry their weight on their front hooves.” Ephiny: “That’s just as good.” – THAT… is FUNNY.

9) X: “What’s this?” G: “I’m an Amazon Princess?” X: “Great.” – Ha!

10) Melosa: “Gabrielle, do you wanna fight me to the death?” G: “Not really.” Ephiny: “You made the challenge, Gabrielle. You have to follow through. Choose your weapon. …Or choose your champion.” G: “Choose my champion? I pick Xena.” – This was awesome.

11) Melosa: “If you lose, you all die. You too, Ephiny.” – Damn girl!

12) X: “Don’t fight me to the death, Melosa. I need your help.” – Liked this line.

13) X: “No, it’s not yours; I took it from Krykus. He gave you yours, didn’t he?” – Love how she says this.

14) X: “Making war is simple; making peace is never easy. If it was, everyone would do it.” – Oh, Xena! What don’t you know?

15) Ephiny: “Now, I see why you ride the horse.” G: “Now, what’s that supposed to mean?” – Seriously, call me stupid, but I didn’t get it either.

16) G: “And, you can kill nasty little critters if you wanna lie down. Yeah.” - This made me laugh sooo hard. 
17) Loved the peaceful talks between enemies.

18) Loved Ephiny’s carelessly violent tour through the warlord’s camp. She kicks that guards ass into Krykus’ tent, then shrugs her shoulders at Xena.

19) So funny when Xena pushes Gabrielle out of the way before the chobo fight.

20) I was pumping my fist when the Centaurs and Amazons joined forces.

21) Gabrielle’s pretty good with her staff!

22) Loved the silent moment between Gabrielle and Ephiny when Gabrielle is informed she’s an Amazon princess.

23) So sweet that Gabrielle threw herself on top of Terreis.

24) Xena knows everything about the Amazons but isn’t one of them.

25) Ephiny (must’ve) told Queen Melosa that Gabrielle was given the right of caste, and Melosa has no qualms with this fact. Melosa trusts Ephiny completely.

26) The customary sound effect that goes with Xena putting any kind of pinch on anyone is spot-on.

27) Loved when Melosa smiles at Xena then Xena flips up onto that highrise.

28) I think I found a mistake. When Xena drops down out of that tree just before she winds up to kill Celano, she already has her sword in her hand, yet she never drew it. Then she puts it behind her and pretends to draw it from her scabbard, but it’s a side-shot so we see the trick. If she’d been shot from the front, which some of the scene is, it would have appeared that she pulled the sword from her scabbard. Even though the jig is up, this scene is AWEsome. I love how she easily kills him then looks annoyed.

29) Ephiny gives Gabrielle her staff that her mother gave her with the cumbersome bird head on it. [SERIES SPOILER] We see soon that this bird head mysteriously disappears from the staff (thank god). [END SPOILER] And what a nice moment between Ephiny and Gabrielle.
Now, is this Cher? Or Queen Melosa? 


Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook! 
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment