Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Xena: Season 1, Episode 03: "Dreamworker"

"Dreamworker"
 
Here's the season 1, episode 03 review. Enjoy it; I sure did. It's my favorite episode thus far.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the entire series by posting "series spoiler" for said item number. Please don't read the review, unless you have seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 

CLICK HERE for full page view.
Neo. He's The One:


There is so much in this episode worth quoting. Instead of posting the "extras," I should just copy and paste the entire script. Watch this ep and tell me you don't feel the same way. If you do feel the same way, say nothing. Otherwise, read on, because I've decided to stay true to form and include the extras section as planned. 

EXTRAS:
1) Storekeeper: "Owe me? After taking away the fear of the mystics? After making this valley a safe place to raise a family?.. Ten percent off everything." – So funny. Keep your 10%, tight asses!

2) Xena: "All right. The rules of survival. Number one. If you can run, run. Number two. If you can’t run surrender, and then run. Number three. If you’re outnumbered, let them fight each other, while you run. Number four." Gabrielle: “Wait. More running?” X: “No. Four is where you talk your way out of it, and I know you can do that. It’s wisdom before weapons, Gabrielle. The moment you pick up a sword, you become a target. And the moment you kill..” G: “The moment you kill, what?” X: “Everything changes. Everything.” – [SERIES SPOILER] lots of invaluable info at the beginning. Pretty much a MAJOR ruling factor over both their lives throughout the first half of the series summed up in these few lines. [END SPOILER]

3) “Remember this is your dream passage. Gods be with you.” – Sir Elkton John. Words to live by.

4) Gabrielle: “I’ve already been through one of their challenges. And there were two of them. I did what you said. They killed each other. Does that count?” Xena: “If it did, you’d be on your honeymoon by now.”

5) Evil Xena: "No, no, my sister. You can’t leave. You still haven’t found the key. You take for granted all your gifts and talents - me. Everything you are today came from me. Every spark of noble quality that made you a great leader - me. The strength that made men tremble at your name, it all came from me! You understand?" Xena: “I understand. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t exist. Whether I like it or not, you’re the key… You’re the key. There’s only one way out of this Dreamscape - you!" – This is amazing that she figures this out (and by accident, it seems), that it is literally her dark side that will save Gabrielle.

6) Xena: “See how calm the surface of the water is. That was me once. And then (she throws a rock into the water) the water ripples and churns; that’s what I became.” Gabrielle: “But if we sit here long enough it will go back to being still again. It will go back to being calm." X: "But the stone’s still under there. It’s now part of the lake. It might look as it did before, but it’s forever changed. Come on let’s go.” - God, pleeease let there be more of this in the future. I love this show.

7) Highwayman: "Oh, we’re but poor men trying to scrape an existence in this evil world. Every now and then we ask for a little something from travelers like your horse, your gold, or any jewelry you might be carrying. And I think I’ll have that fancy sword of yours, too. Now all things considered, I think a surrender would be a good start.” Xena: “I accept. Gabrielle, take their weapons.” - This made me laugh really hard, especially Gabrielle's expression.

8) Awesome the way Xena throws that storekeeper up against the wall with her arms crossed in an X. Their whole exchange is captivating.

9) Love how Elkton tells Xena, “It would take you months (then he feels her strong arm) days to fight your way in."

10) Evil Xena: "Oh. Well, let me ask you this. Back then, didn’t it feel right? Everything we did felt right. It felt good." – Love the way she says this line.

11) Awesome shot of Gabrielle picking up the sword at the end. Pretty sure that scene is canonized in the
Xena intro.

12) The guy Gabrielle is forced to fight at the end is cute like a teddy bear.

13) Lucy Lawless looks good and like a totally different person with dark eyes.

14) Elkton: "It’s no good! It, it, it’s hidden in the mountains, and well protected by an army of warriors. It would take you months, days to fight your way in. By then, your friend will be dead. Unless.. unless you’re the one! In a dream vision, I saw a warrior who could travel the dream passage and defeat Morpheus! You must be the one! A woman with a dark past, strong and brave." Xena: "I’m the one." – I can't stress enough how awesome this is to watch.

15) I get the chills every time I hear the battle cry for the first time in each episode.

16) These early times of Xena saying Gabrielle’s name: you can hear her New Zealand accent. I know she works this out later so that it sounds more American, and it ends up being the sexiest way anyone’s ever said the name “Gabrielle” before in their lives. Listen for it. Seriously. She draws it out like no other, like every vowel is an adventure.

17) Cool when Manus offers his neck to Gabrielle. Makes me like him.

18) Xena's evil doppelganger tries to touch her face; she turns away from the hand. I believe that’s what would really happen.

19) We see the first person that Xena killed (in Amphipolis). She said he killed friends of hers and people she grew up with.
Elkton screams just like Doc at 2:14:



Episode 4 review is coming soon (along with a revised calendar).

 Thanks for reading!
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment