Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Xena: Season 1, Episode 02: "Chariots of War"

"Chariots of War"

Alright. Bringing it back with season 1 episode 02!!

In other news, this week is killing me softly.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the entire series by posting "series spoiler" for said item number. Please don't read the review, unless you have seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 

CLICK HERE for full page view.

I can't seem to get these reviews under control yet, so for the time being please roll with me, Henry. I'm going to keep this section around for a little while. Let's call it:

EXTRAS:
1) Gabrielle says this really beautiful thing, then Xena says this really hilarious thing. G: “So Zues in his appreciation turned the two lovers into oak trees. And then do you know what happened?” Xena: “Somebody built a boat out of them?” G: “No, their branches intertwined. They spent the rest of their days in each others’ embrace.” X: “What’s the point?” G: “C’mon, Xena. I believe everyone will find their tree in the forest some day. Even you.” X: “I find the strongest trees in the forest stand alone.” G: “You don’t have to be strong all the time, Xena. Sometimes it’s good for the soul to be soft.”
Later, Gabrielle says, “I think I found my tree in the forest. He was cute in a rugged outdoorsy kind of way.” Then it’s obvious that Darius is sort of supposed to be Xena’s tree in the forest. But then at the end... is the writer saying that Xena and Gabrielle are each other's trees? I almost noted it in the subtext section, but it's just vague enough to have missed it.
2) Not only is Xena dangerous; she’s fast ...even though Gabrielle is the first one of the series to kiss someone. Who saw that coming? Not this bitch.
3) We see another scar-crossed villain in Cycnus.
4) Cycnus' henchman is pretty hot.
5) Another episode again where Ares is mentioned.
6) That kid with the straight, blond hair in a bowl-cut reminds me of the eldest child in the movie Overboard. Travis, I believe his name was.
7) Ironically, the guy who looks like a whirling dervish sucks.
8) I was annoyed for Xena when Darius hid her weapons.
9) Xena likes Darius’ kids. This is already in stark contrast to the Xena in Hercules.
10) Again, I love Xena's dismount off of Argo.
11) What would this village have done without Xena?
12) “Are you so brave that you fear someone caring for you?” – Darius
13) “I’m not very good at this horse thing.” – Gabrielle
14) This entire back and forth is nothing but genius.
Gabrielle: Xena, I’m going to fall! Hurry!
Xena: Hold on, I’m coming... Jump!
G: Are you crazy?
X: Jump!
G: If I die, I’ll never talk to you again.
X: Jump Gabrielle, come on. (she jumps) You call that a jump?
G: No, it was a frantic leap. Best I could do.
X: Hold the reins. (Xena fights with the chariot beside them) I’ve lost my chakram!
G: Is that supposed to be funny? (sees her lover) You? That’s your overbearing father?
Sphaerus: Stay out of my way!
X: Don’t tell me that’s him.
G: Afraid so.
X: Remind me to talk to you someday about your taste in men.
15) Gabrielle: "My mother always wanted me to get married and have kids. And I remember telling her that I’d always be grateful for the way she’d raised me. But she couldn’t expect me to pay for that with my future." Sphaerus: "That’s insightful" (I agree.) Gabrielle: "It’s a gift. Anyway, I came to the point in my life when I had to make a choice. And I thought about who I really was. And I made it." Very good.
16) Gabrielle: "You trouble? Hah, that’s a surprise. You couldn’t send a messenger? I was worried sick." Xena: "I’m sorry." G: "Did you just apologize?" – Ha! Kind of funny!
My fave Whit Houston song. RIP:


 Thanks for reading!
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White

No comments:

Post a Comment