Saturday, March 31, 2012

Xena: Season 2, Episode 04: "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

Dude, Jesus Christ. -But first! Let's talk about jams.

The music in this episode is DOPE. It’s like electronic/dance/reggae/rap music and I’m aaall about the bass in this shit. Wasn’t expecting its goodness. What’s funny is, I’ve read this music described as hip-hop and even disco, but I wouldn’t say it falls strictly into either of those categories. I mean, disco? Am I missing something?

And, "oh my god" at the lesbian stuff in this. Holy shit. [SERIES SPOILER] I was thinking things wouldn't get too maintext until season 6, but [END SPOILER] here it is in the beginning of season 2: a... well, let's just call it what it is: a lesbian episode. The women are into each other and the music is hot. ...When Gabrielle bites Xena, there’s so much “going on” other than what’s actually going on.

I posted a choppy copy of "The Bacchae Rap" below, and just for the hay of it, here are the lyrics. They make for good, light reading.

I know I reference a lot of 80s movies in my posts (don't I?), but they're relevant, because remember; this show aired in the mid-90s. It's perfectly natural and probable for the previous decade to have influenced Xena.

Surprisingly, I didn’t like this episode much as a teenager. I had problems with the bacchae makeup. I thought it was unattractive and overall distracting. The bacchae can't really close their mouths properly because of those teeth and don't get me started on the fingernails. Now, it hardly bothers me; I love it, actually.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 

CLICK HERE for full page view.
  CLICK HERE FOR bigger VIEW! 

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" is the title of one of the best songs ever written:

 
It's also the title of one of my favorite 80s movies (starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt):


Though the general theme of this episode is vampires - a broad topic - I think it follows The Lost Boys (another 80s gem) more closely than anything.


The bacchae see people like the alien does in Predator, also released in the 80s.


Joxer picks up a monkey drum after telling Orpheus that playing music is for sissies. I'll bet Danielle son would beg to differ. Watch here as he calls upon his inner monkey drum to kick ass in Karate Kid II (1986).


I know I’ve mentioned Legend (80s, 80s, 80s) before, but seriously, take a look at this.


The quality is low, but I couldn't find a better version of the Bacchae Rap.


The Bacchae Rap is so awesome; it reminds me of M.I.A., who is also awesome. (You might want to watch this full screen.) Seriously:


Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment