Saturday, March 17, 2012

Xena: Season 1, Episode 21: "The Greater Good"

This… is a pretty awesome episode. There are many reasons to think so, but, for me, it’s because it’s one of those rare times that we get see Xena vulnerable. I love episodes like these.

Also, this ep is all about (one of) the main theme(s) of the series: the greater good. This ethical way of thinking is currently known as utilitarianism and can be linked all the way back to Aristotle, a Greek philosopher who lived during 4th century BC. (The "greater good" origins could be earlier; I just don’t care to dig any more than I already have.) Yes, “The Greater Good” is an important episode indeed.

Gabrielle says early on about Salmoneus: “You know what this is? It’s water, fizzy water. He’s making money selling water.” – I can’t remember exactly when we started to regularly see ordinary bottled water sold in stores, but something tells me 1995/1996 was the year, and this line is a direct reference to that. It’s still funny, but I bet it was hilarious back in 1996.

To conclude my opening, I want to state, more for my own reference than anything, that I think this is the episode where Gabrielle realizes she's in love with Xena. The event that leads to this realization is obvious enough, I think. 

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

CLICK HERE for full page view.

Both "The Greater Good"and this video were released in 1996. I'd love to know which came first:


Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook! 
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment