Thursday, March 22, 2012

Xena: Season 1, Episode 24: "Is There a Doctor in the House?"

It’s ER meets 300! Or Grey’s Anatomy meets Gladiator! Whatever you want to call it. I personally prefer General Hospital meets Xena: Warrior Princess. Let’s do this.

First thing’s first: I read somewhere that producer Liz Friedman said “ITADITH” beholds the first official piece of lesbian subtext on Xena. I agree that there is definitely some hardcore subtext here. Then again, I wouldn’t say it’s the first. I gotta find that quote and reread, because maybe I misread. Nah mean?

Gabrielle’s death scene is mesmerizing. The intensity is... intense with Xena totally freaking out and everyone just standing around, looking on, not knowing what to do, hoping. They’re watching both the death of Gabrielle and Xena’s inconceivable collapse. Everything just feels so… so critical. And Xena starts crying while giving Gabrielle mouth-to-mouth! How fucked up is that? Jesus.

Even with the presence of so much tear-shed, I did not cry. I felt like I might, and I probably would have, had I not been holding my breath during the scene. Perhaps it’s the week I’ve had.

First of all, my coworker at my receptionist job just got fired. That makes me - at three months - the longest tenured person at my company. At three months. Three. NOT a good sign. Plus, my coworker was the best worker out of all of us. I’m suffering the possible loss of a new friend and the utter fear of now being in charge of a bunch of technical shit about which I know nothing. The whole thing has made me a bit numb and thus impervious to feelings. 

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

CLICK HERE for full page view.




Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook! 
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment