Sunday, March 18, 2012

Xena: Season 1, Episode 22: "Callisto"

Man, this episode is remarkable. I love the way it's directed, edited, played; just the way it’s shot and the subject matter - it’s intense, which is everything I hope for in a Xena episode. It features some of my most favorite moments in Season One, including a campfire scene not to be missed. What a gem. Ugh!

Let's talk about Callisto for a second. I've given this very brief thought, and I think the reasons why Callisto is such a likable character are as such:
1) It's clear that some part of her actually loves Xena, just like the rest of us. We can all relate to that, and so we can to her.
2) She’s hilarious! Seriously, does Callisto not make the best jokes?
3) She loves the shit out of herself, and that’s so attractive, whether she’s a nut or not.

4) The character’s well-played. And the stylist keeps her hair unruly like a child’s, making her that much more believable.
Now, let's talk about Joxer. God, I love Joxer! [SERIES SPOILER (kind of)] I know there are fans that don’t like him/think he’s a waste of airtime/wish he were absent from the show altogether, but I’m not one of them. He is SO. FUNNY. And with him there, traveling with Xena and Gabrielle in the next few seasons, we get to see more of who Xena and Gabrielle are. I think it was an excellent choice to insert him. AND, he’s fucking hilarious in all of the outtakes. (Speaking of outtakes, if you ever need cheering up, watch the outtakes from any or all of the seasons. I guarantee you, you'll feel better.)

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

EXTRAS:
1) Excellent shot of Xena and Argo on top of that hill just before they enter Callisto's lair. 

2) I love the shot where Callisto says, “Take her up!” with a huge smile on her face like she’s about to ride The Cyclone, and then we see Xena’s gaze as she watches it happen.
3) Love the shot of the ladder falling horizontally with Xena riding it. Very creative.
 
4) C: “There was a part of me that hoped that you would win and put out the rage in my heart. Sometimes, it even scares me.” - This is heartbreaking.

5) X: “Now, remember to tell her this. She’s right, I made her, and I’ll be the one to destroy her.” – LOVE the way she says this.

6) X: “Argo won’t obey you, and if you don’t stop kicking her, I’ll break your ankles.”

7) G: “There are other things you can do, you know. What interests you now?” J: “I like to steal.” – hahah!

8) X: “It was just another village to conquer; nothing out of the ordinary.” – When LL says “ordinary” you can hear her NZ accent.

9) X: "And there was just a handful of survivors; obviously, Callisto was one of them.” – this whole scene, the mood, everything is great.

10) C: "No, it’s not her fault at all that I dream every night of my mother’s screams coming from my burning home! You tell me Xena, do you sleep will at night?!” X: “No, I don’t.”

11) C: "Let me answer your question of what I would do if you let me go. You let me go, and I will dedicate my life to killing everything you’ve loved:your friends, your family, your reputation, even your horse. You see, I am being so honest with you because the idea of your pity is worse than death for me. You see, you created a monster with integrity, Xena. Scary, isn’t it? Now, take me to the mob.”

12) X: "But if something happened to Mother, or Hercules, or you; I might do just the same.” G: “No, no look, you promise me. If something happens to me, you will not become a monster. There’s only one way to end this cycle of hatred, and it’s through love. And forgiveness.” X: “Don’t you go changing, Gabrielle. I like you just the way you are. Go get some sleep.” G: “No! No, you promise me.” X: “I promise. Go- go on.”- I'm sometimes slow to pick up obvious information, but what exactly is Gabrielle talking about when she says, "There's only one way to end this cycle of hatred, and it's through love and forgiveness?"
Whose love? Whose forgiveness? Xena's love and forgiveness? Gabrielle's? ...I think Xena's.
The Coney Island Cyclone roller coaster in Brooklyn, NY, which still exists:


The Texas Cyclone roller coaster at Astroworld in Houston, TX, which sadly no longer exists:

The Texas Cyclone is my favorite roller coaster of all time (may it rest in peace).
HL = Hudson Leick  

Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook! 
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment