Friday, March 2, 2012

Xena: Season 1, Episode 14: "A Fistful of Dinars"

Kinda loved this one. I might come back later to check the "favorite" box (Edit: I did, indeed, come back to fill the box three weeks later.) It's got a lotta gold, a little bitta heart, and a buncha teamwork.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

CLICK HERE for full page view. 
 EXTRAS:
1) X: “Give me the pouch.” - Only Xena could make the word "pouch" sound sexy.

2) G: “So, what’s this Petracles like?” X: “He’s a warlord. He’s an ambitious, ruthless, dominating, conniving liar. He’ll say anything he can to get a woman to fall for him, and, then, once he has her, he uses her.” G: “So, you’ve met.” X: “We were to be married.” Gabrielle’s face here. Nice turn of phrase.

3) P: “She really hates me, doesn’t she?” G: “Hate’s a pretty strong word, but it might be the right one.” P: “But not you.” G: “I don’t know you. Only what I’ve been told.” - This is funny, and I love the way Gabrielle says that last part. Very honest.

4) X: “I am asking you not to talk to him.” G: “And I am asking you to trust me." - Gabrielle really stands up to Xena here.

5) X talking to Thersites about G: "If she dies, you die. See, I don’t care that much for treasure.”

6) G: “Ah, I- I- I found some sticks near the- the campsite.” P: “So you thought you’d bring them out here.” G: “That’s- yep- that’s strange, isn’t it? I- actually, I- I wanted to talk to you.” - Ha! I love it when Gabrielle gets tongue-tied.

7) P: “Oh, she’s right to warn you. She probably said I was lying, manipulative, double-crossing- does that hit it all?” G: “Well, you’ve got a ways to go, but that’s-that’s close.” - Ha!

8) X: “Hopefully the clues will tell us. Hey.. you first.” T: “Me? Uh-uh!" - I don't really know why, but I love the way Xena says, "Hey, you first."

9) P: “Xena, I’m sorry I hurt you.” X: “It doesn’t matter anymore.” P: “It matters to me. I was a fool not to appreciate what I had.” (He pulls out a pouch.) X: “My wedding bracelet.” – I loved this extra. He loved her.

10) “I was wrong about Petracles. He was a good man.” – Sure, after he’s dead!

11) Another thing to add to the whole, "I'd say you were jealous," comment. If Xena were jealous of Gabrielle, that would mean she still has a thing for Petracles. I broached this subject earlier; she’s traveling with Gabrielle, not Petracles. We would be with the people we love... And THEN she follows up with, “You hurt my friend and I will rip your throat out," to seal the deal.

12) P: “When Xena and I met, we were very young. Neither of us knew what love was.” - This comment speaks volumes.

13) X: “Gabrielle, why don’t you walk up here with me?” then Gabrielle says to Petracles before joining Xena: “You can keep your crown.” - This is some serious subtext, I think. Petracles just told Gabrielle that he wears the crown of sweet talk and once convinced Xena to marry him, yet look to whom Xena calls. Petracles can keep the crown, because Gabrielle now has Xena; There is no contest. That's exactly what she means.

14) P: “No, Gabrielle, it worked. She was mine.” – someone says she’s crestfallen here. I think she’s worried about Petracles’ hand on her shoulder.

15) P: "And when I realized I had her, I didn’t want her anymore.” G: “That’s incredibly cruel.” – Love the way she says this.

16) T: “Who’s the brat?” G: “I’m Gabrielle. Who are you?” - Gabrielle really takes a verbal beating in the first season!
Conan the Barbarian was also Cimmerian: 

 
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook! 
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment