Monday, March 26, 2012

Xena: Season 2, Episode 01: "Orphan of War"

Man, season 2 starts off with a bang! And confuses me with that whole wrong-sword-hitting-the-ground thing. Clever series..

So, I started off the new season with sushi and I gotta tell ya, while writing this review, I ate leftover sushi from earlier today when I ordered sushi again. That's how much of an impact last night's sushi session had on me. God, I love sushi. I can’t even believe I’m saying that. When I first moved from Texas to NYC six years ago, I abhorred all sea food.

So, this is a very nice episode with which to kick off. It's deep, it is. Xena has a son. I remember being a teenager and hating that they added this to her background, because I didn't think it was necessary, but knowing what I know of the coming seasons, I love that Solan exists.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 

CLICK HERE for full page view.
Kip Winger, second from left.
 Hell, here's Winger in action with "Headed for a Heartbreak."

EXTRAS:
1) X: “Do you know what it’s like to be a mother.. without her child?” - Tell 'im, Xena.

2) D: “Leave the valley.” X: “Not without my son.” – Not without my daughter!

 This movie is almost word-for-word the script for "Orphan of War."
3) X: “I didn’t come here for him. I came to stop Dagnine.” G: “But you are here, now. You’re gonna tell him, right?” – Love the way Gabrielle says this, the way she handles Xena. Is there anyone else in the world who can get away with talking to her like that?

4) X: “Are you telling me this for my good or yours?” – Love the way she says this.

5) X: “Gabrielle, a lot of people think that giving birth ends when the baby takes its first free breath. It’s not true. My son has grown inside of me every day, stronger and stronger. I can try to deny it, but I can never ignore it. How can I claim something that I walked away from so long ago?” – WOAH. G: “I don’t know what it’s like to have a son. But I do know what it’s like to have a mother. And he should know that.” – This conversation really went there.

6) G: “What are you going to do?” X: “I’m going to get my son.”
– BOOM.

7) S: “Ahh, wait! My arm hurts so bad.” – Nothing against Solan, but he said this line all wrong.

8) X: “What good is a sword without an arm to hold it?” – James Earl Jones says something similar about the riddle of steel in
Conan the Barb.

9) X: "You were very brave back there. You didn’t freeze.” S: “Uh, I was too scared to freeze.” – Almost in redemption, I do love the way Solan says this line. I believed him.

10) X: “Yes, against me. That was important to him, even though- even though he and I were very good friends for a very long time.” – Nice delivery.

11) D: “Everything, all the strength and discipline of Ixion’s creation’s right here. With this, I’ll sweep the world like a rampaging wind. I’ll kill Xena. I’ll kill Hercules. I’ll take Athens! I’ve got so much to do. I’ll have to make a list.” - Ha!!

12) X: “Your mother would be very proud of you.” S: "You think so?” X: “I know so.” S: “I think she would have liked you, Xena. I think you two would’ve gotten along.” – Me clutching my chest.

13) G: “I’m going to resplint his arm. He won’t admit that it hurts. I guess he’s a lot like his mom.” – I know I already highlighted this in the review, but I just love this line. She’s talking about more than just physical hurts; it’s such a tender thing to say.

14) G: “You know, this is the only Xena I’ve ever known. I find it hard to understand the hatred that she gets sometimes, when we travel from people who just don’t know her the way I know her. I guess they’re afraid of the old Xena.”

15) G: “Xena, now, before you say anything, I- Well when you jumped at me earlier, I- I deserved it. I’m not saying that I agree with you. But- well I pride myself on being your friend. And- I should’ve realized that you were hurting and-” X: “It’s OK.” G: “I’m here for you.” X: “Always.”
How to do a kip up, just like Xena:


Who is this Borias character?


Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment