Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Xena: Season 1, Episode 23: "Death Mask"

First, let me say this: when I first watched this episode in 2009, I thought Joseph Kell totally overacted the part of Toris. Now that some years have passed and I’m a little wiser, I still think he overacted. I tried to see beyond it, I really did, but the sad fact remains: this episode would’ve been awesome, if Toris hadn’t sucked so hard.

Secondly, the opening fight scene is stupendous. When you first start watching Xena (and you’re me), you think the fight sequences couldn’t possibly get any better. They totally do and this one is a very good example. Gabrielle kicks ASS... in this. So does Xena, but Xena always kicks ass. Gabrielle is just now starting to really hold her own. It’s awesome to watch. And let me just tell you; I warred with myself for under five seconds over whether to allot this episode four stars or five. The opening fight scene alone raised it to five.

Funny story about snapping wet towels: my little brother and I used to love to wet the tips of bath towels and snap the shit out of each other ‘til we cried. We'd walk away with these huge welts on our legs and asses. That shit hurts, if done right.

I know it seems like I’m dumping on Toris, and I am, but for what it’s worth, this is probably why we never see or hear from him again.

In summary, the episode starts out strong then just gets painful to watch. It would’ve been interesting if:
1) Toris had been interested in Gabrielle. 
2) Toris had normal hair. 
3) Toris and Xena had talked about their relationship more. 
4) Toris was a Ford.
SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

CLICK HERE for full page view.

CLICK HERE FOR bigger VIEW!

EXTRAS:
1) X: “The men who attacked and razed my village to the ground wore the mask of Cortese - this mask. I have never stopped looking for him.” – This is such a cool line. The way she says it is aaawesome. G: “So, he’s the one who made you so, you know, aggressive?” - Ha!

2) X: “I knew that he’d come back, so I decided to form an army for defense. And then I figured to take the surrounding villages for a buffer. And then somewhere - I don’t know where - I changed. I didn’t have time to feel anything.” - This is good, deep background information about the raid on Xena's village. Too bad it happens in a sub par episode.
Ford Taurus with mud flaps

Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook! 
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment