Saturday, February 15, 2014

Xena: Season 3, Episode 11: "Maternal Instincts"

"Maternal Instincts"

Oooooooooh SHIT. GOD. K, first of all:

1) There's a reason we needed those three comedies back to back. It wasn't just because of the heavy subject matter at the start of the season. It was also because of this episode.
2) I'm not going to say that Xena's singing made me cry. I will say though that I got teary-eyed while she was singing.
3) I watched "The Bitter Suite" right after this, because, well, it's Valentine's Day and I just couldn't help myself.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

CLICK HERE for full page view.
CLICK HERE FOR bigger VIEW! 


EXTRAS:
1) Solan: “Hi, Gabrielle! Wait till you see! I got a staff, just like yours!” – You don’t say, Solon. You don’t say.

2) Hope: “Dahak will snuff out the people Xena loves, till he’s crushed her very soul, and as she goes, so goes the world.”

3) Xena: “Hurt my son and I swear by any god you name, I’ll-” Callisto: “You’ll do what? You’re gonna make my life a living hell? Old hat, Dear. You did that years ago, when you, uh, barbecued my family. But now it’s my turn to host the cook-out! And where is the guest of honor?! Solon. Solon, Dear. Come meet your Auntie Callisto.” – God, her delivery is choice. She's so good at being evil.

4) Solan: “why does everyone I love die? Is it me?” X: “No. No, of course not.” Solan: “Then why are they dead? Everyone who ever loved me?” X: “They’re not. You still have m-.. many, many friends.” – Ugh, this is
GUT-wrenching.

5) Solan: “I want to live with you.” X: “What?” – This is exactly how I’d react.

6) Hope: “Solan?” Solan: “That’s right.” – Solan’s last words.

7) Callisto: “Why drag this out?! Can’t you see I bring you the gift of oblivion?! Come out, come out, wherever you are? I promise it won’t hurt. Much.” – Such a whore.

8) Callisto: “So you let me go, Xena. You can’t win this battle. And you’ve already won the war.” Xena: “Oh, it’s not that simple. I won’t let it be.” – I don't understand Callisto's reasoning, nor do I understand Xena's response.

9) Xena: “You’re wrong, Callisto. You let your pain kill you years ago. I’m gonna live with mine.” – This is painful even to hear.

Love this song by Phantogram, "When I'm Small." Heard it today. It's appropriate, even.


Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment