Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Xena: Season 3, Episode 07: "The Debt II"

"The Debt II"

Great part two. Loved the shit out of it.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

CLICK HERE for full page view.
  CLICK HERE FOR bigger VIEW! 


EXTRAS:
1) Ming T’ien: "You betrayed her, therefore, you're her enemy. She’ll kill you now, as soon as look at you.” G: "You're wrong. You don't know her.” – If it were anyone else but Gabrielle.

2) Ming T’ien: "Murder is in [Xena's] blood, Gabrielle, her soul. It is more natural to her than love.” – This is sad, because it’s kinda true.

3) LM: "Would you kill a mosquito with an ax?” – I ask this every time someone flushes the toilet.

4) LM: "I'm sorry, Xena, but you’re trying to attack the bottle with your will.” X: "What else is there?” LM: “Exactly." X: “What?" – This is such an Anna Nicole moment.

5) LM: "Heaven endures and the Earth lasts a long time, because they do not live for themselves. Therefore, she would live a long time, should live for others, serve others.” – Everything Lao Ma says is awesome. Where did all these lessons come from? Are they real or were they made up for the show? Guess who's too useless to find out.

6) LM: "You've been a dead woman for a long time now, Xena. I’m offering you the chance to live.” – God, this is so forward.

7) LM: "This wisdom comes from Heaven. What difference does it make who gets credit for it, Lao Ma or Lao Tzu?” – I think it's safe to say I could never
be this big. I can't even see the good or logic in it. If I thought of it, it's fuckin' MINE, mother fucker.

8) Ming T'ien: "Don't feel like you failed. I would've executed her no matter what she said. It’s amazing, really. She did all of this out of some fool gratitude to Lao Ma for saving her life. I suppose even wild beasts have a sense of loyalty, sometimes.” G: "Can I see her?” – Gabrielle gets right up into his face and asks only this as a response to eeeverything he's just said. So brave.

9) G: "My reverence for life kept a brutal tyrant in power, and led to my best friend's execution.” – I said this the day George W. was reelected. I'm just kidding. That day was actually my birthday, and I spent it at school working on a midterm and talking to no one.

10) X: “I know you only did what you thought was right. I was angry with you, but I didn't hate you. I never could." – I'm curious to see if this holds up. I honestly can't remember.

11) X: "That was the moment. I could've done it right there. I could’ve just let go and buried all my hatred forever. That was my chance.” – I love the way she says this. She's so repentant of that missed opportunity.

12) Ming Tzu: "Excuse me, but I do not have to play such a game. You belong to me, now!” B: "I have a claim on Xena. I discovered her, so to speak.” LM: "And I was fortunate enough to save her.” X: "And I should say, I belong to myself. It should be an interesting game." – Hahahaa!! God, this was the funniest thing in the whole episode.

13) X: "All right. Let's say the winner gets me and a body part from each of the losers.” Ming Tzu: "What do you mean?” X: "A body part. Minimum bet is a hand.” B: "I'm in.” LM: "I don't want anyone's body part.” X: "Then I'm sure we all pray that you win.” – Hahahaaha!! OK, I change my mind.
THIS was the funniest thing.

14) X: “Not long before I met you, I was at the end of my rope. I was ready to give up, and then I thought of her and what she taught me, and.. and I was reborn. That's the debt." – Ah-HAH!...Wait, whaaa? OK, so... The
debt, referred to in the episode's title, is Xena's rebirth through Lao Ma. Xena owes Lao Ma, because Lao Ma gave Xena her life back. Also, this is not how I remember Xena's rebirth. As I recall, it was Hercules who put her back on the straight and narrow.

15) Ming T'ien: "You made me, Xena. You taught me to be the monster I am.” X: "I know. It's part of the reason I'm here. I've learned to clean up after myself. Is that all?" – Ha! I kind of wasn't expecting this joke at so serious a moment.

I bet they only play songs by The Moody Blues in that moody, blue Ming prison.


Ruuun, Forrest Xena! Ruuun!


I listened to Sheryl Crow's "Home" a couple times the day I watched this episode. It's one of the few videos I can say is equally as beautiful as the song. 


Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment