Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Xena: Season 3, Episode 06: "The Debt"

"The Debt"

Holy shit. Yeah, this is the good stuff right here. These two eps are epic. E-P-I-C Eps. I mean, Xena and Gabrielle are fucking each other over right and left. Furthermore, I remember this episode being ballsy, but I don't recall it being this ballsy.

Technical note: I watched "The Debt" and "The Debt II" in one sitting and posted both reviews to this blog at the same time. 

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

CLICK HERE for full page view.
   CLICK HERE FOR bigger VIEW! 


EXTRAS:
1) G: "I hope I never disappoint you, Xena.” X: “Impossible." G: "I've learned that anything is possible.” – Shit.

2) X: "If you came, you couldn't get in my way.” G: "Are you saying I'm a nuisance?” X: "No. You just wouldn't like what I'm going there to do."

3) G: "OK, let's forget the cryptic part.  Are you going up against a dragon?” – Ha! 
4) G: “I'm glad I could help you get a deal on the things you need to commit a murder. Xena, what are you doing?” X: "Gabrielle, this just something I have to do.” G: "Then, explain it to me.” – Yeah, the timing is kinda bad, right? After those last two episodes. I love Gabrielle's clarity.

5) G: "I don't think I want to hear anymore about this tale of war, greed, hate.” X: "Hate? It's not about hate. It's about love.” – Interesting, because the same can be said about this show.

6) Borias: “What if Ming and Lao were to ally against us?"X: “Oh, then I'd say…“ G:  "Kill 'em all.” X: "Yeah, that's what I said.” – That's also what I would say.

7) Lao Ma: "You must be Xena.” X: "Oh, you've heard of me.” Lao Ma: "Oh yes, they say you're a dangerous woman.” X: "Well they're right.” – I love this shit.

8) G: "You wanted to kill that poor, innocent woman out of jealousy.” X: "Jealousy. Over Borias? You gotta be kidding. No, Borias and I were just using each other.” – Interesting.
 
9) X: "That's my piece of meat you're reaching for.” Lao Ma: "You're wrong. I don't eat meat.” – Holy shit. I know I've already cited this, but it's just such a blatant metaphor for gayness.

10) X: "I wanted to kill Lao Ma, because I knew in my heart that she'd be a civilizing influence on him, and I liked him wild, like I was. An animal, living from one moment to the next, driven by desire alone.” G: "Did you kill her?” – In case you didn’t notice, Xena’s describing herself here. Then I love the way Gabrielle asks if she killed her, like a child would.

11) G: "Xena, when she whispered in your ear, what did she say?” X: "She said, 'Fill yourself with desire and see only illusion. Empty yourself of desire and understand the great mystery of things.’" G: "That's good. I take it that you didn't listen to her.” – Ha!

12) X: "I've just cut off the flow of blood to your brain. You'll be dead in a minute.” Guard: "What do you want to know?” X: “Nothin’. I'm just letting you know how long you got left, so you can enjoy it." – Hoooe!

13) X: "Xena wins again.” – I say this after every episode.

14) X: "Why are you doing this?” Lao Ma: "I have been blessed–or cursed–with the ability to see into the souls of others. You don't know it yet, Xena, but you're a remarkable woman, capable of greatness." – That's fucking AWEsome.

15) Ming Tzu: "When I arranged your marriage to Lao, I expected you to show more loyalty towards me.” LM: "I was a courtesan. And you sold me. You expect loyalty?” – This is a cool dynamic that I wish were explored more.

16) Ming Tzu: "What a strange woman, Lao Ma; soft, and hard at the same time.” Lao Ma: "Like water. Nothing is soft as water, yet who can withstand the raging flood?" – This is so sexual.
In the fight in the woods, Xena chakrams a guy going nuts with his intimidating sword skills, kind of like Indiana Jones in the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981):


Lao Ma whispers a very serious message to Xena, to which we are not privy, until Xena repeats it to Gabrielle. It's very Lost in Translation (2003). This isn't the first time we've referenced LiT's whisper; Xena does it to Argo in "The Path Not Taken." By the way, I can't stand LiT.


The scene where Xena emerges from the water, sword-in-mouth, is a reference to an infamous scene from Apocalypse Now (1979). Here's some useless trivia: In order to get the AN water shot perfect and smooth with no blinking, they videoed Martin Sheen sinking INTO the water, then played it backwards to make it look like he was coming out. 1:06:


I listened to many songs on January 30, 2014, but this one seems most in line with this ep's tone. 


Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment