Friday, April 27, 2012

Xena: Season 2, Episode 14: "A Necessary Evil"

I love the shit out of this episode. But first! An update on my life...

Ahem! So, as you know, I was promoted to office manager and assistant to the main partner of the company. The week has been very stressful, because obviously I did not ask for the extra responsibility, and it's a lot. As you also know, on top of this new development, my boss wants to send me to college for executive administration (secretarial school). Now, the main question still on my mind (and I'm sure everyone else's) throughout all of this is: will I still be able to produce as many Xena reviews as before? OR... will I produce more than ever?

I know it doesn't make sense, but there is an old saying that goes something like this, "If you need something done, give the task to someone who has a million things to do (or some shit like that)." The thinking behind this is, a person who has a lot of time and little to do will be more likely to procrastinate, whereas a person who is extremely busy will probably bang that shit out. I know I'm not explaining it as well as I could, but my day was just a fucking mess, and I'm still stressed about it. What happened to my lazy-days receptionist job? Huh? GONE. Nevertheless, I am quite proud of my promotion. Surprised and proud. Now, let's do this.

This episode is awesome. Callisto shines brightly in this episode, brighter here than in anything previous, in my opinion. Hudson Leick nails it. You can tell she loves the character Callisto.

Shit, season 2 is good. It's just one top-notch episode after another. And I thought Season 1 was incredible. The picture quality is starting to improve, too, I think; not that I was complaining before. I've always loved it, but I definitely noticed this episode's keen lighting and tight grain.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 

CLICK HERE for full page view.
CLICK HERE FOR bigger VIEW! 

EXTRAS:
1) C: "I think you should hear what I have to say. In fact, I’m your only friend right now.” V: “I don’t need or want friends.” C: “Another thing we have in common.” – Where I sort of don't think Callisto's character tells the truth here, I totally believe Velasca.

2) G: “When we were at the village and Xena was talking about Cirra, did you feel anything?” C: “My goodness. Are you trying to figure me out? I’m flattered.” G: “Answer me. Or are you afraid?” – This is so good. I love Gabrielle.

3) C: "My turn.” G: “What?” C: “When I sliced open your husband, how long did it take him to die? [Laughs]” X: “There’s a path out of the mountains- [Gabrielle blows past her] What’s wrong with her?” C: “We played a game of truth or dare and she’s not very good at it.” – This shouldn’t be funny, but it’s fucking hilarious. Callisto is a genius. HL really laughs her ass off.

4) G: “I don’t wanna die.” V: “Hmm. Well, at least you admit it. Strange, but I don’t really wanna kill you.” G: “Go with it.” – Gabrielle says this very seriously, making it even funnier than it would’ve been.

5) V: “Oh, she’s gotta go.” – The way this is said is fucking hilarious.
In honor of Xena's confession to Callisto in front of tens, my favorite song off of Bananarama's True Confessions album (which was my very first cassette tape), "True Confessions:"


In further honor of Xena's confesh, here's my favorite song from Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor (because, let's face it; Xena might as well have made that confession on the dance floor):


Speaking of Madonna, Callisto claims that she and Gabrielle played a game of Truth or Dare. Madonna made a documentary called "Truth or Dare" back in the day and now she has a scent named after it, I believe. Anyway, I'm on a roll here, so let's just take a look at my favorite Madona performance from that movie (or ever) to close:


Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment