Sunday, April 15, 2012

Xena: Season 2, Episode 11: "Here She Comes... Miss Amphipolis"

OK, I know I've been missing in action for the past few days, but I have really good excuses involving lease renewals and taxes. Seriously, this last week... was hell. I'll get into it later, but for now, "Here She Comes... Miss Amphipolis."

I don't have a whole lot to say about this episode, though I did enjoy it. It explores some of the many facets of such a competition, the good and the bad... but I'd say mostly the bad; wouldn't you? Hmm.

Oddly enough, I know four people who were contestants in the Miss Texas pageant; three of them actually won (different years, of course).

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 


EXTRAS:
1) G: “Contest, pageant. It’s a feeble excuse for men to exploit and degrade women.” - I love how she says this, then later, really gets into the contest as Xena’s sponsor.

2) S: "If you don’t help to keep things on the level, each leader is going blame the other, and soon, we’re all buying headstones.” G: “Yeah, probably from you.” – That’s hilarious.

3) G: “That’s right. I am called, the Marquesa. And from what I just hear, I am a lot better sponsor than any of you. Your contestant is nearly killed, and it’s you who’s insulted. Get a life! And yours is attacked, but it’s your disgrace? Give me a break.” – I just laughed.. SO hard. I love how Gabrielle just jumps right in. Fearful, she is not.

4) S: "As cool as the marble her country is known for, Miss Skiros’ hobbies include music, exotic dancing, and sacrificing to the gods. Her favorite deity - Aphrodite!" - Ha!
5) S: "Next up, we have Miss Amphipolis. A country girl at heart, she enjoys the simple things in life: weaving tapestries, making candles, and doing volunteer work with her local Hestian virgins." – I love this show.
6) S: “Actually, folks, this lanky beauty is our last contestant, Miss Artiphys, whose hobbies include archery, horse-breeding, and knowing the complete score to every musical ever written." - I might say the same about myself.

7) X: "Gabrielle, it's just a bad dress." G: “Bad dress?! Xena, chiffon is bad, chartreuse is bad, but this is a disaster. You will be eliminated halfway down the catwalk.” - I love this scene. Xena is so sophisticated that she can keep it together, even though the dress is horrible, whereas Gabrielle has become a fanatic.
Miss Congeniality, which was released in 2000. I actually like this movie. A lot. Now, is this Sandra Bullock? Or Xena?: 


Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment