Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Xena: Season 2, Episode 13: "The Quest"

Gang, big changes in my life these past couple of weeks. I've now been promoted (on my 4th day at my new job) to office manager and administrative assistant to the main partner of my company. They are sending me to school for further training and footing the bill. Can you believe that shit? Now, the big question is, WILL my Xena posts lessen or become more frequent? Only time will tell.

Ok, let's just get this out of the way right now: The woman who played Velasca (Melinda Clarke) is the same actress who played what's-her-face's mother on the O.C. She was as magnificent on that show as she was on Xena. Yes, she got her start on Xena: Warrior Princess. Is it any wonder that she achieved such fame afterward? No. 

[SERIES SPOILER] Other goodies are coming our way further in the series in the way of random celebrity appearances. The most infamous one takes place in season 5, I believe. [END SPOILER]

And now, Xena's "The Quest"... not to be confused with the 80s movie by the same name.


Immediately, the first thing everyone thinks of when summoning this episode is that kiss. MAN... I remember being… blindsided by this kiss. I recall watching it at home (maybe I was 18) and being just shocked. And elated that this show would have the balls to do something like that. I couldn't believe it. Xena doesn’t fuck around.

Upon my initial write-up of this review, I gave the episode seven stars. I might come back and change it to eight. We’ll see.
 
SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 

CLICK HERE for full page view.
CLICK HERE FOR bigger VIEW! 

EXTRAS: 
1) V: “Gabrielle. Princess. A word with you, please.” – Love how she says this.

2) G: "Prepare the ceremonial pyre. Xena will have an Amazon funeral. I’ll take her ashes to Amphipolis, and I’ll return to rule as Queen.” - I’ve never seen Gabrielle look more beautiful.

3) A: “Gabrielle, Xena’s inside me. Her mind, her soul, her essence - whatever. It’s in here with me and she wants me to steal her body.” X: “Ah, that’s so pathetic.” G: “You’re so pathetic.” – This is fucking hilaAarious.

4) G: “Autolycus, what is going on? Why is Xena in your mind?” A: “Oh-ho, now you believe me. Ow! Does she work out for those stunts?” G: “Where is she?” A: “I-I don’t know. Stop that.” – I love how eager Gabrielle is to know. She’s touching Autolycus and investigating him with the curiosity of a cat.

5) X: “Autolycus, I’m going to speak through you. Give me control.” A: “No, wait. We have an agreement. I have a right- Yes, Gabrielle, it’s me." – I love how she doesn’t wait for his consent.

6) A: “Well, I.. hope you two worked things out.” G: “We did. Thank you. I mean that.”

7) V: “It’s not whether you die; it’s how you die that counts. Let me tell you something about myself. I like pain. I like what it does to people, and I like what it makes people do. And I’m not bragging. I’m just explaining.” – God.

8) A: “Well, my lockpick’s in my other shirt. If only I had just a small, sort of um.. Would you put that hand right there? And that hand there? Now, don’t worry, this is business, not pleasure. Well, mostly business. Huh-ha-ha. Hold it.” – I love that this happens. Thank you, whoever wrote this.

9) X: “Despite all your bluster and bravado, Autolycus, you’re a nice person. I knew I could trust you. I always will.” - Awwww.

10) G: “You know, for a few moments, I knew what it was like to be you.” X: “And?” G: “It was warm, friendly, loving-” X: “Gabrielle, it was a fight.” G: “I felt protected.”- If you really think about what she's saying, that's pretty intense. 
Steve Martin's body under the control of Lily Tomlin in All of Me:

 
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment