Monday, April 9, 2012

Xena: Season 2, Episode 10: "The Xena Scrolls"

Xena wielding a sword in glamorous 40s attire? Yes, waiter, I will have that, thank you. Gabrielle kicking ass and taking names dressed as Indiana Jones? Yes, steward, that sounds delightful.

"The Xena Scrolls" - similar to the very first episode of Xena, except the roles are reversed and the times have changed, obviously. Mel’s practically begging to be included in Janice’s archeological dig and to stay with her afterward, just like Gabrielle to Xena in "Sins of the Past." Janice is super tan; Mel is super white, whereas Gabrielle is usually the white one and Xena is tan, etc, etc. Good stuff.

Also, this simple recap episode (from the tail-end of Season 1 only) hints at legitimacy to aaall of these episodes as historical events. Very smart. ...Here's something that is true: A LOT of people don't realize that Xena is a recently made-up figure. Seriously, ask some peeps. Because of the show's popularity (and intricate, clever episodes), many people think that Xena is a bonafide, historical, mythological, ancient Greek personality; just like Hercules, Zeus, and Athena. I love that it happens; it's just amazeballs.

Now, it’s true; I make references to the Gatling gun about five times a day. It’s one of my favorite weapons in the world. It’s got it all: power, bulk, pzazz. In this ep, there's an awesome scene in the beginning where Janice/Gabrielle rocks a Gatling. If you liked that, check out this ultimate electrically driven Gatling gun (mini gun) scene in T2. ..Thank you, Ahnold. 



A side note: when Xena stomped the sword into her hand and twirled it in the cave, I had to pause the episode to take a cold shower. That was one of the coolest moves ever. I am in love with the stunts in this gd show.

In closing, for being a recap episode, "The Xena Scrolls" is very important. You’ll see why, later. Some of it becomes interesting for different reasons. [SERIES SPOILER] For example, Janice/Gabrielle in this episode eventually feels lesser, like a weak sidekick who only knows kindness and masterful verbal skills. This feeling would have some bearing through the first few seasons, but as we all know, at the end of the series, Gabrielle is nearly Xena’s equal in the warrior/fighting realm. Not to even mention that Xena totally comes back through Mel in this ep, when it's made clear in the last two episodes that she can never come back. Right? Are we supposed to just pretend that this episode doesn't exist? There are other conflicting eps like this one to come, too. [END SPOILER]

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 

CLICK HERE for full page view.
1) JC: “And now that I’m this close to proving his quest wasn’t in vain, I’m not about to enlist the aid of some spoiled brat who’s trying to live on her father’s reputation.” M: “Just like you’re trying to live down your Daddy’s reputation?!” JC: “What did you say?” – Love how ROC says this. I believe her.
2) JC: “Sit down and stay out of my way. I’ll find the scrolls myself.” M: “Dr. Covington, come here! Look what I found!” – This is just like the scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (my favorite of the trilogy) where Short Round leans against the wall (after Indi tells him to) and activates the death trap [1:17].
3) Jac: “Listen, who cares who gets the credit? Why don’t we pick up these little pieces of paper and get out of here?”- This made me laugh. He goes from worrying about himself and acting a fool to complete indifference and contempt.
4) A: “If the world thinks it knows death and destruction now, wait 'til they get a load of me!” – Direct reference to Jack Nicholson's portrayal of The Joker in Batman, as seen below.
5) JC: “You ventilated my hat! Ha, ha, ha, ha! Now, dance. Get outta here!” – Her voice rumbles hardcore here, which is my favorite thing in the world.
Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment