Thursday, January 16, 2014

Xena: Season 3 Pre-Thoughts

If you're watching this series for the first time, do not read this entry, as I am about to unabashadly spoil stuff. I am going to spoil right and I am going to spoil left. This section should only be read by those who either don't care that things will be spoiled or have already seen this show. I repeat: 

THIS WHOLE ENTRY IS A SPOILER.  

 Now's your chance to save yourself. 

Turn back now. 

[SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER]
[SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER]
[SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER]
[SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER]
[SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER] [SPOILER]





All right, now that it's just us, let's talk season 3. 

I'll open by saying, this is where the good shit starts to hit the fan.

Right around here, after season 2 but before season 3, I moved to Austin in late 1997 and lost television/stopped watching Xena. I wouldn't sit down to watch Xena again until 2009, as I previously stated. (Check out the link here for my recap of that viewing, during which I watched every single episode of Xena from beginning to end for the first time.)

In 2009, I remember being turned completely ass-backwards by the depth of the show in seasons 3–6. Utterly shocked. I just had no idea it would get so good. I mean, seasons 1 and 2 were already great; I was sure it couldn't get much better than that. But for it to escalate? I just didn't see it coming.

I took life-changing delight in watching season 3, during which, to the best of my knowledge, the following events and people happened:
          1)   Hope
          2)   Lao Ma
          3)   The Rift arc (on this, I'm a bit fuzzy):
                    a.  Gabrielle gives birth to Hope, who's pure evil
                    b.  Hope kills Solan, Xena's son, after Xena tells Gabrielle to kill Hope
                    c.  Xena beats the shit out of Gabrielle and nearly kills her
                    d.  There's the first musical episode which brings them back together again
                    e.  Xena must go back to Chin to avenge the death of Lao Ma.
                    f.  Gabrielle betrays Xena in Chin and gets her caught.
          4)    I'm fairly sure Xena dies?
          5)    Gabrielle fucking plummets to her death in the last episode. This shocked me.
I know there's so much more, and I wait with bated breath to rewatch the episodes I've forgotten.

In a nutshell, before I saw season 3, I thought the series peaked at season 2, but I was wrong.

It was just warming up.


Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment