Thursday, January 16, 2014

Xena: Season 2 Summary

All right, I'm not going to lie to you, much as I want to. Season 2 blew my shirt off. Sooooo much shit happened, including but not limited to: 
  1. We learn Xena has a son
  2. Xena and Gabrielle turn into vampires
  3. Gabrielle marries Perdicus
  4. Callisto totally kills Perdicus
  5. We meet Meg, Xena's second doppelgänger
  6. Xena and Callisto switch bodies
  7. Ares loses his godhood
  8. We learn about Ceasar and his part in Xena's descent into darkness
  9. Xena dies
  10. We learn about M'Lila and the origin of the pinch
  11. Gabrielle becomes an Amazon queen
  12. Fan favorite "A Day in the Life" happens
  13. Xena goes blind
  14. Joxer falls for Gabrielle
Again, as with season 1, I'm baffled by the heaviness so early in the series. I mean, so far Xena's died TWICE, you guys. Xena has died once every season thus far. [SERIES SPOILER] Maybe I'm dreaming this, but I'm pretty sure she dies at least once every season, and, with the exception of this season, so does Gabrielle. [END SPOILER] Can't wait to see season 3. I can't imagine it getting more intense than season 2, but I remember for a fact that it does.

QUALITY: Season 2 is still a 4:3 standard TV ratio and varies little from the picture quality in Season 1. Nothing about it distracted me from the show, so I'd rate the quality as "good."

RANK: Though I loved season 1, I have to place season 2 at the top. I'm going off of "Favorites" alone, which tallied a whopping 12 in season 2, compared to season 1's seven. Choosing is hard. It's like deciding which star in the sky is your favorite. (And if you say, "Oh, that's easy! That big, bright one!" you're probably looking at Venus.)

Favorite Seasons Rank:
1) Season 2
2) Season 1
3) 
4) 
5) 
6) 
SUBTEXT. Looooots of subtext in season 2, again, to my befuddlement. It's just so early! To name three big ones: 
  1. Gabrielle (erotically) bites Xena's neck to turn her into a Bacchae 
  2. Xena is troubled by Gabrielle's marrying Perdicus
  3. Xena kisses Gabrielle on the mouth, intimately, using Autolycus's body
I know I missed so much in my summaries. There's subtext all over the gd place, so please feel free to let 'er fly when you spot something I didn't. I know there's a lot.

While I believe Xena and Gabrielle's emotional relationship started in season 1, I still hesitate to say their relationship proper (as lovers) has begun. I'll note when I believe it's full tilt boogie. I do think, though, that they're already in love, whether they realize it or not.

[SERIES SPOILER] Remarkably, I'm pretty sure the end of season 2 marks the turning point for Xena and Gabrielle, as far as the pursuit of male (or other female) love interests are concerned. It will be amazing, if I'm right. That means there are four entire seasons where Xena and Gabrielle are exclusive. I remember Xena has a tiny slip, kind of, in season 5, through no fault of her own, but whatever. Season 5 is false! Seriously, though, I might even be exaggerating the season 5 slip. 

Ironically, season 5 is the season I can't wait to see most of all. I'll be more critical of that season than the others, that's for sure. Maybe I'll even end up liking it.  [END SPOILER]

CLICK HERE for full page view.

Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment