Saturday, January 28, 2012

Reviewing Xena: The Greatest Enterprise in History

Now, I am not a wealthy woman by any stretch. I'm not even what one would call "financially stable." I live alone in New York City, one of the most expensive places in the world; rent for my studio apartment is $1,085 a month; my gas has been shut off since November, because I can't afford to pay the bill; I scrape a meager living as a receptionist in Manhattan; I have no health insurance (ha!); I barely make enough to make ends meet. In short, I really have no business being here, yet I find it's the perfect setting to watch back-to-back episodes of Xena

What I'm saying is I am going to sit here, in the middle of Brooklyn, on my couch, in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple, to watch 134 episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess (137 if you count the introductory episodes in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.) Though I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, I might just be the only person who's ever done it.

In case you aren't paying attention, that's 4 days, 9 hours and 12 minutes... of Xena: Warrior Princess.

The way in which I will tackle this task is very structured. I have a tentative schedule set up that I'll share with you in the coming days. It took me about three months to finish the series in 2009, which I'll talk about tomorrow. I'm giving myself the same amount of time this go-round, though I predict there will be more rewinding involved. 

I've created an episode review template, about which I'm really excited. I'll upload that for everyone to download and use. Right now, I'm warring over whether to type my notes within the template or print out the sheet, fill it in by hand, and scan each one into my computer. What would you do? Hmm... 

If I hand-write them, they'll be more fun to look at, but it could also be messy; be unorganized; take me longer to make corrections; be harder to edit, surely; and all post-research will have to be done manually. HOWEVER, if I type everything directly into the template in, say, Adobe Illustrator or Acrobat, then I could make each file searchable in a pdf document (using optical character recognition [OCR]) and I could print physical copies.. I think I just answered my own question. Blogger: it's your therapist and your guide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment