Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wanda's Episode Critique Template

Alright. Here it is... I'm pretty proud of this. I mean, just look at it. Talk about utilizing the space, eh? EH?!
Links for Xena Movie Review Templates in: COLOR/Black & White

First of all, let me say that I would love for you to watch the series along with me. Just click on one of the links above, print one review template for each episode, fill it out, three-hole punch it, and archive them all in a binder. (This template is three-hole punch friendly, meaning: you can punch three holes in it with a three-hole punch and it won't F up the text.) I also plan to make a pdf/fill-out version of this, in case you want to save a tree. I, myself, intend to have both a physical and digital copy, because that's how I roll, girlfriend.  

I might still adjust these one last time before I watch the series. As soon as I do that, full-size, high-quality copies will be available for download. For the time being, I'm just going to go over a few things here. You know, discuss why I included certain fields and what not. We'll start from the top left to right, going down. 

The "Favorite" Box
Located on the upper-left side of the page just below the heading. Check or color-in this box to indicate whether or not this episode is a favorite of yours. You can come back later and instantly identify which episodes were gems. If you're not sure if an episode is a favorite or not, ask yourself this question, "Would I like to watch it again?" If you feel, in any way, that the answer is 'yes,' then for god's sake, check the goddamn box.

The "Sucked-OK-Awesome" Star Scale
Pretty self-explanatory and fun. Just color in the number of stars you'd like to give the episode. Part of the beauty of being a Xena fan is accepting (whole-heartedly) that some episodes really blow. You'll be happy to identify them as such and thank the creative staff for being so ballsy and trying anyway. It's because they took risks that we got such a wonderful show on the whole. But they can't all be good episodes, so don't be afraid to color-in a single "Sucked" star. It helps to have watched the series all the way through when using this scale. We all know which episode would earn a "10" and which one(s) the "1." If I can be of some help, only one or two episodes should earn the actual 10-star and 1-star spots. Most everything else falls in between. God, I can't wait to watch this series again. 

Season/Episode/Title
Fill it in. Do it. How else will you or anyone else know which episode you're reviewing? Also, I love Xena episode titles. I wish I knew the story behind each one and who thought of them.

The "Before Viewing" Field
The "Before Viewing" area is just for fun. You can either say what you remember of the episode from the title (even if it's wrong); predict what you think the episode is about; just plain say you have no idea; or just say that you're hungry and elaborate.

Writer/Director
There was a time in the past when I didn't give a tinker's fart who wrote and directed whatever it was that I was watching. Now, I'm a little wiser, and I realize that the writer and director are the ones who make the magic. The actors would suck without them, especially without the director. After all, it's her overall vision that we're enjoying, so it's important to know who's responsible. I'm real excited about these fields, because I didn't take note of them last time (along with everything else), and I'm curious to see who consistently turns out good work.

Synopsis
This is my least favorite part of the template but one of the most important. It's tedious to remember the exact names of places and people involved in all of these plots. This isn't like Beverly Hills 90210 where the characters and city are all the same for each episode. If you've ever watched Xena or Hercules, you know that a myriad of characters come in and out of the series in practically every episode. Some actors are even used for more than one character, as you'll see. (You can note that in the "Notes" section, coming up later.) But detail the synopsis as much as you can. It will help you remember what happened in each episode. (Remember, there are 134 in total. 134...)

"Comedy or Drama?"
Pretty self-explanatory. We all know there are some straight-up comedies in Xena. The funny thing is, when I was a teenager, I didn't like the funny ones at all. Now, I think those are my favorite. Sometimes, an episode is serious with some funny parts in there; this is when it's appropriate to check "mish-mash." If you cried, tell the world; check one of the boxes to the right of this category. I recall crying a few times throughout all of the seasons. Will be interesting to know just how many times Xena hurt my feelings.

The 2 T's Field
Of course I speak of "Theme" and "Topic." Now, these are important, probably. Topic is what's happening literally in the episode. A Theme is more underlying and not always obvious... Actually, you know, just do the best you can here. I don't think I know what I'm talking about.

Characters
List the characters in the episode here. This will help you find episodes later on. You can think to yourself, "Now, what's that one episode with Autolycus and Gabrielle?" But think no more! Just use your trusty review template to find the answer.

Wardrobe
These last three fields came as an afterthought when I was finalizing the template. I want to keep track of everyone's costumes; I feel like they fluctuate more than I remember. Plus, this is kind of like the fashion section of the template, and who doesn't like fashion?

The "Loved" Field
Elaborate here about the things in the episode that you really liked, such as a costume, the scenery (oh my god, New Zealand), the music (holy shit, Joseph LoDuca), a particular character or actor, or the way Gabrielle sometimes tilts her head when she looks at Xena.

The "Hated" Field
Point out shit that irritated you, whether it be a bad wig (they're in there), a bad actor (they're in there), or a poor plot device. I plan to note stuff that I wish the director or writer had or hadn't done.

The "Maintext" Field
List everything here that was sexual or "touchy" that doesn't require interpretation. For instance, when Hercules and Xena kiss romantically, jot it down here. One day, you might want to know when and where someone kissed somebody. When Gabrielle hugs Xena or Xena straight-up flirts with Gabrielle, you put that here, too.

The "Subtext" Field
Here's the FreeDictionary's definition of "subtext:"  1. The implicit meaning or theme of a literary text. 2. The underlying personality of a dramatic character as implied or indicated by a script or text and interpreted by an actor in performance. In the world of Xena fans, you'll hear the word "subtext" in every other sentence. The subtext in Xena refers to Gabrielle and Xena's relationship, or the stuff that happens off-camera between them. Sometimes "stuff" between them happens on-camera; in that case, put it in "Maintext." If there's any other feeling you get from stuff that happens on-camera that you think has a deeper, unspoken meaning, you should list that here, too.

The "Death" and "Crying" Fields
These were the some of the last fields I added, sort of as a postscript. I realized on the train yesterday that if someone cries, like Xena or Gabrielle (it happens), I wanna know. If someone dies, whether it be a whole village of people or Xena (...), then I want to know. This will be a fun field. It'll be a surprise to watch an episode where these two fields are left blank.

The "Quotes" Field
Do it! Write down your favorite quotes! They are all. over. the place in this series. Amazing quotes, funny quotes, profound quotes, reworded famous quotes. Xena has it all.

The "Notes" Field
This covers everything for which there is no field. Speak freely here about anything you want. My one fear about the template is that this field isn't big enough.

Location/Date/Time
When and where did this episode viewing go down, girlfriend?

Appearance
While you sat there and watched this particular episode, were you in your work clothes or your underwear?

Who Watched It With You?
I don't know why I included this field, as I probably will never use it. The show means so much to me, that watching an episode becomes a very private experience. I will watch every single episode alone, because I can't handle any distractions during such an intense time. If someone says, "Xena? Can I watch it with you?" I will either tell them "no" or put on an episode that I've already seen. I do think it's interesting when people watch Xena together, though, so please share with us with whom you shared the episode. If there's enough space, tell us how your friend liked it!

What Did You Eat?
Did you eat a whole thing of Double Stuf Oreos during "Hooves and Harlots?" Tell us about it.

Who Called You?
If someone calls me during Xena, I doubt I'll answer the phone, but what if it's important? I might answer it. I want to know who you and I talked to during Xena and what was said. Mainly, I want to know if you said, "Hey... watching Xena; what are you doing?" Because, I mean, how funny. Whoever you are talking to will have a real response to that (like probably laughter), and they'll love that you told them. How long was your conversation, and what was the conversation about? You'll come back to this later and laugh about it, no matter how mundane.

That's it! Lemme know of ways the template can be improved. I want it to be all-encompassing and tight, girl.

While we're at it, here's the Xena Episode/Season Summary sheet:
 

This template is a bit more self-explanatory. It allows you an all-in-one glance at which episodes are your favorite. Makes it a little easier (and tidier) to see the big picture. Cool, right?! I'm a freakin' genius. Fill one of these out for each season. The three precursor episodes in Hercules will have their own sheet: Season Zero. (I love that I'm calling it Season Zero. It's not lesser-than; it's just before there was a season one, that's all.)

Don't forget to like the Xena 2011 Movie Campaign on Facebook!  
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment