Monday, January 30, 2012

Seasons Change, People Change: Xena Seasons in Rank

Before I start my schpeel about the six fabulous seasons of Xena, I forgot to mention that I purchased Hercules: The Legendary Journeys - The Xena Trilogy over the weekend (Saturday to be exact)

I didn't know there was such a thing, until I did some old-fashioned investigating. I originally planned to watch the three introductory episodes of Xena on Hercules online or something, 'til I realized they sell them all in one tidy little DVD. Yes, Xena is that popular. On the flip side, I've never heard of any Xena episodes featuring Hercules being sold separately from the Xena series. Just sayin'. You can take the Xena out of Hercules, but you can't take the Hercules out of Xena. Why don't you think about that for a while.

ANYway. Although I ordered the Xena Anthology a week ago, I have a feeling the trilogy will arrive sooner than they. If that's the case, I will totally watch the shit out of it whether the box set is here or not. If the box set arrives before the trilogy, however, I will not be watching Xena - no! Not until those first three Herc episodes arrive. It just wouldn't be right.

Now, let's get seasonal.

One of my favorite things to hear from fellow Xena fans is their favorite season and why it's their favorite. I can't get enough of this topic. I don't know if I could truly name my favorite season right now. Perhaps after the second viewing, I can refer to my notes and find out once and for all which season is my absolute favorite. Right now, though, I feel the order is something like this:
1) Season 6
2) Season 4
3) Season 3
4) Season 2
5) Season 1
6) Season 5
It'll be interesting to see if the arrangement changes after the 2012 viewing (Just saying "2012 viewing" makes me wanna climax.) 

What's your favorite season and why? I love it when people say season 5. Someone needs to love season 5. And perhaps an explanation of why it's a favorite will make me "see" all of its goodness. Wouldn't that be something if I came out of this second viewing with season 5 as my favorite? (It'll never happen.) 

I remember loving episodes from 5 but really hating some, too. A lot of them, actually. Season 5 really upset me, as a matter of fact, and put me in a bad mood for days (weeks!), but this was before I realized that season 6 was so incredible. So now, knowing what I know about this series, will my knowledge of the future change the past? Will my upcoming informed viewing with my "new," learned eyes change the seasons?


I'd love to go into detail about what I remember from each season, but I feel that's putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. There will be plenty of time for that when I fill out the "Xena Season Summary Template" following the close of each season. The sheet of which I speak is almost as cool as the "Xena Episode Critique Template." You'll see both of these tomorrow, I think. If anyone is reading this, I would love some straight-up feedback about the template. I'm open for suggestions about how to improve it to better suit your needs. And my own. Until then, Lalalalalalalalala!!

No comments:

Post a Comment