Monday, March 19, 2018

Xena: Season 4, Episode 17: "The Play's the Thing"

ALTERNATIVE TITLE:
"XenaCon on Broadus Wayus, 2018 BC"

Not much to say here, other than this is a comedy and it's fucking funny, but mostly Xena-less.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

CLICK HERE for full page view.
CLICK HERE FOR bigger VIEW! 

EXTRA QUOTES (THAT ARE JUST ALL JOKES):
1) G: "I appreciate that. But, Xena it was one of my favorite scrolls a new one charting our history through the prism of time it was " G and X: " a more intimate " X: " examination of our relationship and on and on. You've been talking about it ever since we left Paraeus." – "A more intimate examination of our relationship." Intimate. This is so gay.

2) X: "Well, when I say, 'Don't mention it,' I mean you can mention it. It's just a figure of speech. You don't have to take it literally. It wouldn't kill ya to maybe look back or something." – Hahahaha

3) Sophecles when he sees Gabrielle: "Oh! Huh?" (offers arm to Gabrielle) G: "Not in your lifetime. Thank you." – Hahahaha, god dammit, Gabrielle gets funnier and funnier as the series continues.

4) Joxer: "Hi. Gabrielle, wow! Uh, your hair. Did that hurt? Uh, what's that you're wearing?" G: "Sari." Joxer: "Don't apologize. It looks good." – Saw this joke coming but it’s good. The tattoo reference, hahahaha.

5) G: "My scroll. This is it. Thank you. Thank you. Where did you find it?" Zehra: "I was sitting in the little girls' house, and there it was, right beside me." – Gabrielle left her scroll in the bathroom, probably while reading it on the toilet.

6) G: "Oook, now, um try it like Xena would." "X": "Ayiyiyiyi! Ayiyi! You were right, Gabrielle. How could have I been so blind?" G: "She'll do. Besides, Xena requires more of an athlete. Great!" – I love that Gabrielle thinks of Xena as an athlete.

7) Milo: "My little bowl of vipers let me get this right. You sold Kaelus the Conqueror 75% interest in the play, right?" – I'm stealing that sentiment.

8) G: "Minya come on, it's your big scene." Minya: "Yeah, ow, my big scene where I talk my issues out more. It seems like all we do is talk. You know, maybe the play might be even better if we just clobbered some skulls." – I love the shit out of this.

9) Joxer: "Yeah. Um Gabrielle, the play is great. Um maybe if we just had a different title." G: "Like what? 'Springtime for Warlords'?" Joxer: "Oh, well, or uh 'Blood, Guts, and Babes.'" Minya: "'Wild Men in Rubber.'" "Humongus": "Or 'Big Boys in Boxers!'" – Which one is your fave?

10) G: "Thank you. And I want to apologize for losing control. I promise, it won't happen again. OK? Well, let's start where we left off scene 84. OK, first positions. Let's go. Paulina, when you're ready." – "Scene 84?" "First positios?" hahahahaha!

11) G: "Artists aren't supposed to care what the public wants. We're not doing this for money." Man: "Well, I am." Women's Voices: "So am I!" "Me, too!" – No kiddin!

12) “No good playwright would have her art reduced for the sake a few dinars.” – Tell that to George Lucas. 

13) G to Paulina: "'Kill 'em all! Kill 'em all!' You see? It's from the back of the throat. It's much more guttural. I mean, we have to believe the anger, the hatred for life OK? Now, make that audience shiver." – Hahahaha!! Oh my god, I nearly lost my breath, here.

14) G: "What am I doing? All this sex, blood, violence? Have I gone crazy?" Joxer: "Gabrielle! We just sold out the first night!" G: "Crazy like a fox! I want more blood! Let's make it gushing!" – LOLed so hard at this.

15) Milo: "If the play's a success, we're-" Zehra: "-Don't say the 'Delta' word." – This is...this episode is so fucking funny.

16) Joxer: "Wow. Gabrielle, Criticus from Varietus is in the audience right now. Don't worry. He's gonna love it. Your vision's great." – Critic from Variety magazine. Hahahaha

17) Cleon: "If I can't get the secrets of defeating Xena at least I'll get her little friend. Huh?" (Xena appears) G: "Xena." Cleon to Xena: "Oh, go away. You're not even a good actress." X: "Now, that was a little uncalled for." – I know I should’ve seen this coming, but I didn’t and it’s hilarious.

18) G: (Zehra and Milo get up to sneak out) "Somebody stop them! (the audience looks at Gabrielle with confusion) Interactive theater! Everybody join in!" – Hahahaa!

19) Critic #1: "The play's not bad. I just don't buy that Xena." Critic #2: "There's the opening of 'Buffus, the Bacchae Slayer' across the street." – This is funny and a reference to Buffy which I’ve never seen.

Here are a few shots of Meg Ryan with her short hair. Remind you of anyone? 




I just saw I, Tonya the night before reviewing this episode. So in honor of that, it's HAT CHACLATE!!



Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment