Saturday, March 3, 2018

Xena: Season 4, Episode 15: "Between the Lines"

ALTERNATIVE TITLE:
“The Best Shit You Seen”

God, I love this fucking episode. It fills me with so much fuckin joy, I can’t even believe it. This could be my most favorite Xena episode EVER. When I first saw it back in 2012, I had no idea how Gabrielle's hair got short. I assumed that one day, the creators decided it would be short in the next episode and that's all there was to it. I've never seen a show turn a haircut into a plot device.

The ladies' mehndi scene: I can't emphasize it enough. 

Number of times someone is caught off guard by a light show that eventually shoots them into the past: 3

This episode is so good, that when Alti does that tree-log flashback to hurt Xena and Xena is shown in her regular outfit, it seems like it’s been ages since we’ve seen her in that outfit. In reality, the last time we saw her in her Xena gear was the previous episode. 

Something I've come to notice: One of the most beautiful things about the crucifixion scene is that the color pallet is the same color as Xena’s eyes. 

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it.

CLICK HERE for full page view.
CLICK HERE FOR bigger VIEW! 

EXTRA LOVED:
1) Near the beginning of the episode, Gabrielle uncovers her long hair for what we find out is the last time. It's truly beautiful, but I think it behooves one to know what's about to happen to truly appreciate the moment. 
2) Both Gabrielle's and Xena’s reactions to Naiyima’s light show is so fun to watch.
3) Arminestra. She says nothing, but I love the shit out of her.
4) Gabrielle’s flashbacks and flashforwards before she enters her life as Shakti.
5) The sobering look on Gabrielle’s face when she tells Xena that the Goddess of Peace (Arminestra/Xena) would be a hero to her.
6) Xena's joking demeanor as she reveals to Gabrielle/Shakti that she is the mother of peace, and the sympathetic look on Gabrielle’s face as Xena tells her.
7) Alti’s face when she's threatening to kill a child and Xena appears.
8) The look Xena and Alti exchange when Alti talks about the last time they saw each other.
9) Xena’s look of death at 29:42.
10) Alti cutting Xena with her own chakram.
11) Xena’s mendhi chakrams. Dude, SWEET.
12) How sweet Xena is about Gabrielle’s new haircut.
EXTRA NOTES:
1) They all emerge from the fire at the end, because they come back through Naiyima’s chest, and Naiyima had just been tossed into the fire.
2) It’s surreal seeing Gabrielle in Alti’s hands.
3) Do Arminestra and Shakti die on crosses, as depicted in Xena/Arminestra's quick vision when Alti visits her and Gabrielle/Shakti in jail?
EXTRA QUOTES:
1) Gabrielle: "OK different analogy. Ummmmm when you want to fly with eagles " Xena: "Don't dress like a turkey?" – Lucy Lawless says this just like Marcia Brady.

2) Xena: "I don't know, Gabrielle. Look this is just not me." Gabrielle: "No, no, it is you. Uh, the color the jewelry. It's, um it says, um 'Casual'. It says 'Sexy'. It says-" Xena: "Sheee-yah!" G: "It says a lot." – OMG this made me laugh SO fucking hard.

3) Xena: "Let's go check it out. What has this woman done?!" Man: "Naiyima's husband is dead. She must join him." Gabrielle: "Has she been found guilty of murder?" – SERIOUSLY driving home this whole court thing this season.

4) Xena: "No windows, fantastic.” – AAAaahahahahahahaa!!

5) Khindin: "All this talk is tiring, Arminestra. You wanted to negotiate. But I've heard nothing that appeals to me." Xena/Arminestra: "What?” – This response is the best thing in my adult life.

6) Gabrielle: "Xena you better hurry! Xena? Xena?" Naiyima: "Make move, sweet thing." Gabrielle: "Look, I don't have time for this. Where is Xena?" – What the fuck is going on here.

7) Gabrielle: "This karma that you're talking about, can you see mine? Can you see how much Xena's a part of that?" Naiyima: "Yes, in many lives, past and future. You are right." – Because this is something friends say about each other.

8) Gabrielle/Shakti: "Is she still tall, black hair, a particular warcry when she attacks?" – Love that these are the top three characteristics of Xena.

9) Xena/Arminestra: "Alti. The great evil is Alti." Gabrielle/Shakti: "I thought you killed Alti." Xena/Arminestra: "Her evil just moved on to its next life. And this time, it not only has her spirit, but the strength of a warrior. That's why the mother of peace had no success with Khindin." Gabrielle/Shakti: "The mother of peace?" Xena/Arminestra: "Me.” – Love the look on Gabrielle’s face here.

10) Alti/Khindin: "Every person here has generations of power, just waiting for me to take. And do you know the key?" Xena/Arminestra: "Fear?" Alti/Khindin: "Fear." Xena/Arminestra: "I know. It's like heat radiating from your victim. But fear is a flaw, Alti. a subtle, human flaw, given to us by the gods so that they can exploit us. You think it's wonderful to have that power, but it's not." – A deep take on humankind by Alti.

11) Alti/Khindin: "I'm in awe, Xena. I truly am. I see you found your friend Gabrielle, was it?” – That’s right, Alti has never met Gabrielle.

12) Alti: "What's she told you about me, little girl?! Has she told you about my powers?! Has she told you about this?!" [Crucifixion vision] – I love this part.

13) Alti: "You must be the darshaaam." – OK, I don’t think it’s supposed to be, but the way Alti says "darsham" is hilarious.

14) Niayima: "You both walk a path together. Think of yourselves as lines in the mehndi, separated but forever connected. mehndi contains truth." – Is this true? Did they make this up for the episode? What the fuck is mehndi?

15) Gabrielle: "I guess it's a day for changes." Xena: "Oh, yeah. How does this feel?" [ruffles Gabrielle's hair] Gabrielle: "Feels pretty good. I wish I had some word in it, though. You know, it was like this in that vision." Xena: "I know. I've been thinking about that." – This is so deep as a casual conversation, they’re saying so much.

Naiyima got her time-traveling business model from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971):



A very fitting song I listened to the day I watched this episode:



Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment