Thursday, October 20, 2011

The XENA 2011 Movie Campaign

BEST. IDEA. EVER.

Being a huge Xena fan, I sometimes tweak out and search the net for interesting Xena conversations, fan fiction, or artwork. Today, I stumbled upon the Xena 2011 Movie Campaign page on Facebook, and I... Well, my heart flipped its shit.

Let me begin with a little back story. Ahem! ...When Xena: Warrior Princess first aired, I was a young lady of about 16. I'd seen a couple of episodes of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and liked the idea (because I've always loved swords and ancient times) but ultimately never got into it. When I heard there would be a spin-off starring a female warrior champion, I nearly came where I stood. I started watching episodes of Xena here and there, but it wasn't until I saw the episode, "The Return of Callisto," that I was like, "Oh, it is on." When I turned 18, I moved away from home to a different city. My roommates and I didn't have cable, so I wasn't able to watch Xena anymore, though I did keep a huge poster of her on the wall in our home.

I'm 33 now. About two years ago, after talking enthusiastically with a friend's aunt, who's extremely into the show, my interest in Xena blazed anew. Netflix had (and still has, as of the date of this post) the whole series available on Watch Instantly, so I decided to watch every single episode of Xena from beginning to end. Keep in mind, when I moved at 18 and stopped watching the show, I'd only seen the first two seasons of Xena. Boy, was I in for a frickin' treat.

Xena gets so deep after season 2, y'all. Seriously, this show... I can't even tell you. I watched all six seasons just completely enthralled. I highly recommend it, regardless of your age, gender, creed, sexuality, whatever. If you need convincing and want some suggestions of a single episode to watch that might quench your curiosity, get ready. Although I advise watching them in order, because the order is part of the beauty, I recommend "Callisto" and then "Return of Callisto" in that order, as those initially hooked me. I read somewhere that one of the writers of the show always converts people by having them watch "The Ides of March." As a matter of fact, I'm going to find that quote right now, because it's a really good one.

...

This is an excerpt from a Whoosh! interview with Katherine Fugate, who wrote what is arguably the best Xena episode of all time. Here's what she had to say about getting into the show:

"My sister was a big Xena fan first - and she forced me to watch her "guilty pleasure." I admit, I was a bit reluctant, but the first episode I saw was IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE, which was emotional and mesmerizing and I became a fan. Since then, I find the DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN line about "No, I don't watch that show—bunch of chop-socky crap" is what people who've never seen the show believe. I find they have no concept of the themes of the show and instead believe it's just Lucy Lawless running around with a sword. To me, it's about finding your path in life, making mistakes and leaning from them, and always staying focused on the greater good. I have never seen ER, West Wing or Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, but I bet my image of what those shows are would be much closer to the truth than what non-Xena fans think Xena is about. I find myself almost giddy when I defend the show because I turn on someone new who watches it and then is hooked, too. My favorite episode to hand out is IDES OF MARCH. I always have a convert after that episode's been seen."

It's true; Xena: Warrior Princess is unique. There are those who aren't yet brave enough to admit they like it, and then there are people like me who will tell you that it's the greatest show ever made. "Wanda, what makes you say that, girlfriend?" Because, girl, these people did anything they wanted on this show! Don't you see? It's the funnest goddamn show on the face. It's exciting, hilarious, dramatic, spiritual, historical, violent, sexy, romantic, cheesy, profound, and cool. The stunts are awesome and ambitious (Kill Bill stunt woman, Zoe Bell, in the hizzy. Speaking of, I've heard that Xena fan, Quentin Tarantino, based Kill Bill off of many aspects of Xena.) With all that said, any true Xena fan will tell you: the show is about love.

I could talk about Xena forever. Unfortunately, I don't know people who watch the show (openly), so I have only myself to deal with in regard to the incredible story lines, complex characters, thoughtful relationships, stunning and poignant details and, most forwardly, things I would change about each episode, if I could. ...Ugh, so many facets of this show. It's truly too much to cover in a single blog post, which is why there'll be several to come on the matter.

The show's end angered and broke the hearts of many fans. Although I know what happens in the final two (highly controversial) episodes, I'm afraid to watch them, because I hear it really hurts, girl. I'm desperate to hear from people who actually loved (or even liked) the ending.

In light of the newly resurrected effort to make a Xena movie (please, God. Jesus.), I'm going to rewatch the series again. I can't wait. I wish I'd taken notes for each episode during my first full viewing two years ago, but I simply wasn't prepared for what was in store. Now that I know, I've drawn up a review-sheet template, which I'll fill out for each ep and post here to the blizzy. I'm doin' it right this time. As the old saying goes, go big or kiss my ass.

Before I close, here's something that I want everyone to "hear:" I know it's been 10 years since the show's cancellation (just when it hit its stride, too), but I think a movie starring the two actresses who portrayed Gabrielle and Xena would be amazing. I have such visions of our heroines, 10 years older and wiser, facing each other. I believe they'd be even more beautiful now in these roles than before and add a new depth and maturity to the story that might just kill us all.

If I were a VHS player, I'd play the shit out of these.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dianaschnuth/
License

No comments:

Post a Comment