Sunday, January 20, 2013

Xena: Season 2, Episode 22: "A Comedy of Eros"

Is it poor form to just..put up a post with no explanation, as though months and months of silence haven't gone by?

"A Comedy of Eros"

So this...child...shoots arrows at random people, making them fall in love with each other. Obviously, a writer's first choice in a storyline such as this might have Gabrielle or Xena get struck by an arrow and fall in love with the other, were they not already in love. I, however, subscribe to the theme that they are, because we know the writer and director are not afraid of gay love in this episode, as evidenced by some of the coupling on display.

I know there's this feeling for many of, "CHRIST, why couldn't Gabrielle have seen Xena first, instead of fucking Joxer??" But to have Xena and Gabrielle react to the arrows and "fall in love" would dispel the idea that they've been in love all along. i.e. It would've done more harm that good. Then when the curse was removed? The show would have had to either confirm or deny that Gabrielle and Xena are actually in love (which they are).

Perhaps it was simply funnier to have Gabrielle fall in love with Joxer. On that note: [SEASON SPOILER] This is the episode that marks the start of Joxer’s unflagging love for Gabrielle. [END SPOILER]

G: “I love [Joxer]!” X: “...What?” G: “I know. It shocked me, too, seeing how blind I’ve been.
But maybe that’s what love is; it’s blind... I should write that down.”
- I love this show.

SPOILERS: My reviews are full of them! I'll try to note when I'm about to spoil the series by posting [SERIES SPOILER] before said item and [END SPOILER] after. Please don't read the review, unless you've seen the episode under discussion or don't care if I spoil it. 

CLICK HERE for full page view.


EXTRAS:
G: “It’s the virgins I’m talking about. Think of the faith it takes to be one of them.” X: “Yeah, not to mention the other requirement.” G: “Just between you and me, being chaste can be real hard.” X: “Chaste?” G: “Hmm.” X: “No, I was talking about having to answer to that stupid bell your whole life.” G: “That too. Yeah.” - This is hilarious. Any suggestions that Gabrielle is a slut (or anything else that she isn't) are always hilarious. Also, at first, I totally thought she was saying, "chased." Would've worked either way.

D: “I can’t deny you excite me." - Ditto, big D!

X: “You told me you tried to change once.” D: “I did, and almost got killed for my trouble.” X: “Then try again. With me, profit’s not always measured in gold.”Love the way she says this then leans in for the kiss. Is Xena not the slyest fox around? Girl got game.

D: “Wait! Round up those virgins.”
Love the look on Gabrielle’s face when the guards run right past her. She’s a little shocked. Does this mean that she’s offended because they’re calling her a whore? Or that she’s a virgin and they’re just assuming she's not? Also this is interesting, because it sort of suggests that she never slept with Perdicus.

D: “You dressed them like locals and hid them in plain sight.”Love that he uses the word locals. Sounds slangy.

G: “Come on, Joxer. Please, just one more time?” J: “You really love it, don’t you?” G: “I love it. The more I practice, the better I’ll get.”Jesus Christ.

J: “He hurt my hand!” G: “Pookie!” - Hahaha!

X: “Wait a minute. Something’s going on, here. You-you can’t want Gabrielle. Between you and me, she’s a little-”
She seesaws her hand. What could she possibly mean?

X: “This love thing that’s going around. Haven’t you noticed? First, I fall for Draco, and then Gabrielle falls for you, and then Draco falls for Gabrielle!” J: “Who could be in very big trouble right now.” X: “Wait! Slow down. Gabrielle’s going to be fine just as long as Draco’s in love with her. It’s you who’s gonna get killed when he finds out that she’s in love with you! So, what is the big picture here? What’s going on?”I love how Xena is the only one smart and clear-headed enough to put all this together.

J: “I don’t know. Love? Chaos? Aphrodite?” X: “Yeah, that’s what I thought at first. But there’s no vanity in it. It seems so haphazard. It’s like some child’s game.”
Neat watching Xena literally figure it out, out loud.

X: “You can’t change the one you love. So, wise up. Gabrielle could never love someone who lives off hurting others. You can’t change her. So, if you want to win her love, you better change yourself.”So much good shit is said in this. Sort of a great episode.

G: “Can you imagine the two of us in love?” J: “Ridiculous” G: “Yeah, kind of makes you laugh just to think about it.” J: “Ha-ha.”
Aawww...
Draco and Xena's arm wrestling scene, I believe, is an exact replica of this scene from prized 80s film, Over the Top, starring Sly Stallone (for the record, the child actor in this is annoying as shiiiiiit)


Or perhaps it's an imitation of this short match from Superman II:


I feel that the "game of doors" at the end of the ep might have taken a little inspiration from this particular scene from the 80s movie, The Secret of My Success, a movie that I absolutely adore. And I love this scene:


Here's a song I absolutely jammed to (hard) in July of 2012There's no doubt I listened to this song at least once, if not several times, the day I watched "A Comedy of Eros." To be honest, I am shocked that six months have passed since then, but I'm not ashamed!!


Don't forget to like the Xena Movie Campaign on Facebook!
Click HERE for an updated calendar/watching schedule.
 Xena Movie Review Templates: COLOR or Black & White
 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment